23 March 2010

Honey Wheat Pita Bread

I used to make pita bread about once a month. Then one day, I just quit. Blue Girl quit taking her lunch to school as much and that is what they mostly got used for so I just didn't see the point anymore.

The other day I saw a post on a blog that I frequent about Pita Bread. I decided to dust off my recipe and make some. They are an easy grab-n-go breakfast, lunch or snack. I need that. We all need that. Just grab a pita bread and squeeze some mustard into it and shove a piece or two of ham or turkey and out the door you go. So simple. So convenient. I also cut a few in half to use as thin buns. I have to watch my carbs being diabetic and these make perfect little buns for me.






Honey Wheat Pita Bread



  • 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (or a mixture of ww and regular, Blue Girls prefers the mixture)
  • 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt




Put all your ingredients in your bread machine and set it for the dough cycle for a one pound loaf.

Divide dough into 8 balls.

Roll balls out to to size you want. I usually fit four per baking sheet.

Place on sprayed foil and cover. (or parchment, whatever you want) Let rise for 1 hour.



Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Place dough rounds on baking sheets and bake for 5-6 minutes. (This is why I just use sprayed foil. I just pick up the sheet of foil and put it on the pan.)

Remove from pans, let cool and slice. Store in the fridge or freezer. I keep them in the freezer and pull one out and microwave it a few seconds before I use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what y'all think...