08 January 2010

Pan Seared Pork Tenderloin




Pork Tenderloin. A tasty hunk of meat. Melt in your mouth tasty pork goodness. Quick, easy and tasty. Did I say tasty yet? haha


No, really. The pork tenderloin is the leanest cut of meat. Some say it's leaner that a skinless chicken breast. I don't know about that (I will need to consult Alton Brown on that one) but, I think it tastes better. It is super easy and quick to prepare and when done properly, it can be one of the most moist, tender and tastiest cuts of meat you'll ever eat.

The last one I bought I got out at SAMS club. It was right around 10 lbs, it was huge! I took it and cut it down the middle both length wise and across making sure to have the fat layer on each piece. I ended up with 4 - two and half pound tenderloins, each one about 2 inches thick. Much easier to handle and more of a meal size, well for us anyway.

When I buy them, I season them with:

  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • smoked paprika
before I throw them into a food saver bag and pop them into the freezer. This way, as they thaw, they are essentially marinating in the meat juices and seasonings. If you like to marinate yours with teriyaki or other marinades, you can just throw the marinade in the bag now, or wait until it thaws and then marinate it.

Take your tenderloin out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.




Take a cast iron skillet or grill pan that is large enough to fit the tenderloin and place it in a cold oven.

Turn the oven onto 400 degrees.

While the oven and pan are heating up, remove the tenderloin from the packaging and rub with oil.

When the oven has heated, turn your largest burner onto the highest setting and place the pan on it.

Put your tenderloin in the pan and sear for 30 seconds or so on each side. As you roll the tenderloin to sear each side, turn it in the pan so you are using a new part of the pan for each side.



Once all sides have been properly seared, place the pan, with the tenderloin, back into the 400 degree oven.

Cook for 20-25 min in the oven.

Remove from oven and let rest, covered with foil for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what y'all think...