19 January 2010

Mustard Potato Salad

Potato salad in our house is made with mustard and served cold. I never cared much for the white, warm potato salads.

This salad is creamy with firm potatoes and chunks of sweet pickles. It has a crunch from carrots, and a slight sweetness from caramelized onions.





Mustard Potato Salad
  • 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks (I find their flavor stands up best to the mustard)
  • 1/2 small to medium yellow onion, finely chopped, sauteed
  • 3 large sweet pickles roughly chopped
  • hand full of matchstick carrots, diced
  • just under 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/8 cup (heaping) yellow mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: (any or all of the following)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped pimentos
  • 1 small diced red bell pepper
  • hard boiled eggs ~ my mom put these in and I do if I know it's all going to get eaten that day




Boil potatoes 10-12 min, until fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool.


Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl.

Add cooled potatoes, fold gently into the dressing.

Add salt and pepper to taste.


Refrigerate, covered for at least 1/2 an hour before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I love tater salad!

    have a great day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what y'all think...