05 November 2009

Shredded Chicken ~ Crock Pot

I came across an unadvertised sale this week on whole chickens at our grocery store. At 80 cents per pound, I bought as many as I could possibly fit into the freezer.

While stuffing the chickens into the freezer, I noticed that I was completely out of cooked, shredded chicken and upon further investigation, I found the pantry only had 2 pints of home canned stock left.





Shredded Chicken
(I got enough for 7 meals)


  • 2 whole chickens each around 4lbs, cut up
  • 4 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
  • 1 onion, cut into large chunks
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
  • 1/ tablespoon pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt


Put all your veggies and seasonings into the bottom of your crock pot.

Put your cut up chicken on top of the veggies. Snuggle it down in there.

Pour 2 cups of water over the top. Move the chicken around to make sure the water gets down in there.



Cover and cook on low for 12 hours.

Remove chicken from crock pot and place in a strainer over a bowl. Let cool for 30 min, then into the fridge for one hour.



Remove from fridge and proceed to separate meat from skin, bones etc. and shred.

Place one and a half cups of shredded chicken into a zip top bag and freeze. ~ 1 1/2 cups is perfect for most recipes. ;)

I then added water to the stock in the crock pot to fill. (still with all the little "left behind" bits in there)





Cook on low for 8 hours.

Take the stock, once it cools some, and follow the directions here to can it.

That's $6.40 for meat enough for 7 meals in the freezer, PLUS 10 pints of stock in my pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what y'all think...