Chicken Stir Fry
- 4 - boneless, skinless chicken breasts ~ sliced thin
- 1.5 - cup julienned carrots*
- 2 - cup broccoli tops (frozen or fresh)
- 1 - med onion cut into chunks
- 4 - tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 - tablespoons corn starch
- 3 - tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 - tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- .5 - 1 - tablespoon Splenda (or sugar)
- 3 - cloves garlic ~ minced
- 1.25 - teaspoons ginger paste
- 1.25 - teaspoon Thai Garlic Chili Sauce (optional)
Mix your "sauce" ingredients; soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, ginger paste, Splenda and Thai Garlic Chili sauce in a small measuring cup and set aside.
Heat large frying pan, or wok, over med-high heat.
Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and the onion. Fry onion until translucent. Add garlic and fry just until garlic starts to slightly brown. (don't let it burn, ewwww)
Add chicken and fry chicken just until no longer pink. It won't take long. You don't want to overcook it and make it tough.
Remove chicken, onions and garlic and set aside.
Heat pan back up and add broccoli and about 1/4 cup of water. (less if using frozen) Put top on pan and let steam until tender crisp. (2 -3 min depending on if fresh or frozen)
Turn heat to just under high and add carrots. Stir well uncovered letting most of the water in the pan evaporate. You don't want to "cook" your carrots. Just let them warm up. You want that crunch they provide.
Add your chicken mixture and stir well turning heat back down to med/high.
Add cornstarch to sauce and pour over chicken and vegetables. Stir well to coat.
Serve immediately over rice or noodles. (We just eat it as is. No rice or noodles)
*When doing a low carb diet, I just replace the carrots with jicama or bok choy steaming them along with the broccoli.