The original recipe called for mushrooms but I forgot to pick them up at the store so I used frozen peas in their place.
Creamy Chicken & Rice Casserole ( given to me by Pool Guy's sister. I think it is a WW recipe)
- 2 - (6.9 oz) pkg chicken-flavored rice & vermicelli mix with chicken broth & herbs
- 2 - Tbls margarine
- 4 1/2 - cups hot water
- 3 - lbs skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2c - pre-sliced fresh mushrooms* (I used one cup frozen peas and added them when mixing all together)
- 1 - tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 - c fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 - tsp pepper
- 2 - cans condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 c crushed multi grain crackers (about 6 medium crackers) (reserve for when cooking/serving)
- 1 Tbsp margarine, melted (for topping)
Cook rice mix in a nonstick skillet according to package directions. Set aside and let cool.
Coat skillet with cooking spray and place over med-high heat until hot. Add chicken, *mushrooms, and garlic powder, and saute’ 6 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color. Let cool before assembling casserole.
Combine chicken mixture, rice mixture, sour cream, pepper & soup in a bowl. Stir well. Spoon mixture into casseroles coated with cooking spray and lined with plastic wrap. Once frozen, remove from casserole dish and leaving plastic wrap on. Wrap in foil and place in zip top bag until ready to use.
Frozen casserole must be thawed overnight in the refrigerator when ready to use. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Top with cracker-crumb mixture and bake as directed:
Combine cracker crumbs, melted butter. Stir well. Sprinkle cracker-crumb mixture over chicken mixture.
Bake @ 350° for 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated.