My version isn't some gourmet hot tuna sandwich but it also isn't hot tuna salad on toast either. It is a quick easy meal that anyone who likes tuna will enjoy. Blue Girl loves fish, could eat it every night if I made it for her.....but.....she will not go anywhere near tuna. Go figure.
My mother always called her version Tuna Fish Sandwiches That Go in the Oven. Wow. That's a mouth full. LOL I now call these Oven Baked Tuna Sandwiches.
Oven Baked Tuna Sandwiches
- 2 - large cans of tuna (your choice, I prefer water packed)
- 1 - small onion chopped and sauteed until browned
- 2 - hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/2 packet of Splenda (you could omit this if you use sweet relish)
- 1/4 cup dill relish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used 1/2 regular and 1/2 light)
- 1/2 pound of cheese cubed (I used 1/2 Monterrey Jack and 1/2 Velveeta)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped green olives (optional)
- Old Bay seasoning to taste
- Tabasco (optional)
- Hamburger Buns or any kind of sandwich roll
(not everything is pictured)
Heat oven to 350.
Mix everything together in a bowl.
Place about 1 1/2 ice cream scoops of tuna mixture in a bun. Wrap loosely in foil and place on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 min depending on how crispy you like your bread.
I served this with a salad and some baby carrots with dip.