06 April 2009

Not Your Average Tuna Melt

The first time I ordered a Tuna Melt in a restaurant, I was sorely disappointed. It was nothing more than tuna salad heated up and plopped over some toast. I soon found that was a Tuna Melt everywhere I went.

My version isn't some gourmet hot tuna sandwich but it also isn't hot tuna salad on toast either. It is a quick easy meal that anyone who likes tuna will enjoy. Blue Girl loves fish, could eat it every night if I made it for her.....but.....she will not go anywhere near tuna. Go figure.

My mother always called her version Tuna Fish Sandwiches That Go in the Oven. Wow. That's a mouth full. LOL I now call these Oven Baked Tuna Sandwiches.

Oven Baked Tuna Sandwiches

  • 2 - large cans of tuna (your choice, I prefer water packed)
  • 1 - small onion chopped and sauteed until browned
  • 2 - hard boiled eggs chopped
  • 1/2 packet of Splenda (you could omit this if you use sweet relish)
  • 1/4 cup dill relish
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used 1/2 regular and 1/2 light)
  • 1/2 pound of cheese cubed (I used 1/2 Monterrey Jack and 1/2 Velveeta)
  • 1 tablespoon capers
  • 1 tablespoon chopped green olives (optional)
  • Old Bay seasoning to taste
  • Tabasco (optional)
  • Hamburger Buns or any kind of sandwich roll



(not everything is pictured)

Heat oven to 350.

Mix everything together in a bowl.





Place about 1 1/2 ice cream scoops of tuna mixture in a bun. Wrap loosely in foil and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 min depending on how crispy you like your bread.




I served this with a salad and some baby carrots with dip.





Oven Baked Tuna Sandwiches on Foodista

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! This is way better than the Tuna Melt that I used to make! I am so making this! What a great recipe! Hope you can come over and share this yummy treat over at Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit. Would also love a link to this post from our site.(This will direct Foodista readers to your blog)Here's how you can create inbound links from our site Check it out here. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! See you there! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what y'all think...