05 April 2009

Chicken Stew

I had some boneless skinless chicken thighs I was trying to figure out what to do with. I just don't much care for skinless chicken. It's not so much that I like the skin (I do love me some crispy chicken skin) but the skin helps to keep the chicken moist when you cook it.

So I just threw them in a zip top bag, seasoned them and put them in the fridge overnight. I figured I would come up with something.

Since one of the dogs broke my crock pot and I haven't replaced it yet, coming up with something that would keep the chicken moist didn't seem like it was going to be easy.

Not to fret though, this turned out really well and will definitely be added to my "go to" recipes. It made enough to feed a family of 4-5. Since only two of us ate, I will freeze the leftovers. This should freeze nicely.


Boo's Chickeny Goodness

  • 4-6 chicken thighs, boneless/skinless
  • 1 - med-large onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 - cups baby carrots
  • 2 - cups cubed potatoes
  • 1 - can cream of chicken soup w/herbs (condensed)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • seasoning of your choice (I used, garlic powder, salt, pepper and onion powder)

Get your dutch oven out and heat it up over med-high heat.

Pour in enough oil to generously coat the bottom of the pot.

Brown your chicken thighs in batches if need be.

While you are browning your chicken, cube your potatoes and place them in a bowl of water to get some of the starch off and chop your onion.

Once all the chicken is browned, remove from pan and set aside.

Dump your onions in the pot and cook until they are just turning clear and the bits in the bottom of the pot are browning nicely.

Add your broth whisking to get all the browned goodness up.

Add your can of cream of chicken soup and seasonings of your choice. This will be thick.

Add about 1 cup of the starchy water from the potatoes to the pot. This will thin the "gravy" but the starch in the water will help it to thicken as it cooks.

Put your chicken back into the pot making sure all the pieces
are snuggled down into the liquid.

Put your carrots on top then drain and put the potatoes on top of the carrots. Don't worry if all the potatoes don't get submerged in the liquid. (you could use any of your favorite root veggies for this ~ sweet potatoes or rutabagas and parsnips would be good)

Baked covered in a 350 degree oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours (depending on how crunchy you like your carrots). I served this over some left over rice. You don't need it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what y'all think...