05 March 2009

Hamburger Potato Hotdish ~ Crock Pot

Remember the aroma as you barrelled into the house after playing outside all day? Remember your mother yelling at yall "don't touch anything until you have washed your hands and face"? Then you sat down to a dinner that was beyond delicious.

Today brought all that rushing back to me. I walked in the house after picking Blue Girl up from school and it hit me......the aroma of Hamburger Potato Hotdish. Mmmmm.

This was my mother's recipe. I'm not sure where she got it or if she made it up herself. Maybe it's a staple up in my parent's home state of Minnesota (my mom comes from Little Falls and my father, Blue Earth). Who knows. All I know is this was my father's favorite meal. Every year on his birthday this is what he would ask for. We didn't have it all that often due to how time consuming the cooking was. However, I have discovered this can be done in the crock pot!


Joanie's Hamburger Potato Hotdish

2 - lb hamburger meat
1 - large onion, chopped
1 - can cream of mushroom soup
1 - can tomato paste
4-6 med potatoes, cleaned, peeled and sliced
20 oz milk
salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flakes ~ to taste


In a fry pan, cook onions in a bit of butter or oil. Once onions are softened, add meat and cook until no longer pink.

Drain and pour meat mixture into the crock pot. Add can of soup and tomato paste and seasonings, mix.

Fill the soup can with milk x2 and mix in.

Add your sliced potatoes. Stir it all up. Make sure the potatoes are covered by the sauce. If not, add milk until they are covered.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. I use the "warm" setting on my new crock pot. Otherwise it gets burned around the sides and on the bottom.

In my mother's version, she would put it all into a large roaster. She used two cans of cream of mushroom soup, one can of tomato paste and one can of tomato soup and 4 cans of milk. She would also add one heaping table spoon of flour for each can of milk added. She would cover and cook for 1 hour at 400 then turn the heat down and cook for an additional 3 hours at 350.

This is one of those meals that the leftovers are usually better than the first time around. Unless you are feeding an army, you will have leftovers. ;)


One of coolest things my mother did for us girls was to make us each a cookbook. She took all our favorite and regular meal, veggie, dessert and side dish recipes and typed them up and put them in a small binder for us. This is one of my most used, and my most prized, recipe books in the house. I have started one for Blue Girl too. Don't forget to pass on those scrumptious recipes your kids have grown up loving. I guarantee they will appreciate it one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what y'all think...