09 March 2009

Apple Butter

Can you believe that some people have never even heard of Apple Butter? Some of you have heard of it but never have tasted it! What is wrong with you people? LOL If you can't or don't' want to make some for yourself, get to your nearest Cracker Barrell and buy a jar of their Spiced Apple Butter. You won't be sorry. ;)

I decided to make and can some myself since apples were on sale dirt cheap at the store last week. I picked up 4lbs of Johnny Golds for less than $4. I wish I had just gotten 30lbs or so. I could make apple sauce, apple pie filling, apple butter, apple roll ups...... Since I only picked up 4lbs, I used a recipe I have used before that includes jarred apple sauce.

Spiced Apple Butter (makes 7 pints)

3-4lbs apples (any kind will do except for Red Delicious, they don't do well)
2 - large (3lb) jars of apple sauce.
2-4 - cups sugar (to your taste, I use 2)
1 1/2 - cups apple juice
2 - tsp cinnamon
1 - tsp cloves
1 - tsp allspice or nutmeg

Peel and core all the apples. Then chop them into little pieces. (I actually did this without cutting myself this time!!) :D



Pour your applesauce into the crock pot. Add the apple juice to the crock pot and stir.

Add your sugar and spices to the applesauce mixture and mix in making sure you get all the sugar mixed in.



Add your chopped apples. Mix so that all the apples are covered with the apple sauce.



Set your crock pot on "low" and let it cook 10-12 hours. I do this at night and let it go all night.

The next morning, I turned it up to "high" and let it cook for 12 hours until the apple pieces were all gone, whisking or stirring every two hours or so. (I use a whisk to help break them up when they are super soft)

Then I turned it to "warm" and let it go all night again. At this point, I spooned some out into a bowl and refrigerated so we could taste it and see if the spices/sugar needed adjusting. If they do, adjust before going to bed.

In the morning, turn back up to "high" and let it cook down to the desired consistency. This usually takes a couple of hours.


Spoon into your sterilized and hot jars. Adjust the lids and then you can do one of three things:

  • let sit on the counter until room temperature and then store in the fridge
  • Spoon into heated, sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch head-space. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Place in a boiling-water canner for 5 to 10 minutes (5 minutes for half-pints, 10 minutes for full pints from the time the water begins to boil). This is what I did.
  • You can put into jars and freeze.

2 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy! I love Apple Butter I may need to try this! Thanks for posting Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try this when you get a chance. Pool Guy just can't stop talking about how "fresh" the taste is. LOL Good Stuff Maynard!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what y'all think...