24 January 2009

Tasty Texas Chili

We are all out of chili in the pantry. :(

That's okay though, I'll just have to make some more. :) I change up my recipe each time I make it. I think this is the best batch I have ever made. This is the keeper recipe to be handed down. This is not spicy at all. Pool Guy doesn't do spicy well. I'll add some Cholula Hot Sauce to mine when I eat it.

Since everyone is trying to cut costs these days, one thing I'm going to try to do from now on is list the price of the items and see how much it comes to for each serving/jar or whatever. I think this should be interesting.


Tasty Texas Chili

5lbs ground beef (I used 73/27, well drained and rinsed to keep costs down) ~ 7.40

1 - lb dried red kidney beans (soaked over night) ~ .62

2 - 28oz cans crushed tomatoes ~ 1.14

2 - 1lb onions, chopped (just make sure you have about 2 pounds) ~ 1.08

1 - 12 oz beer (darker is better) ~ .69

1 - 6oz can tomato paste ~ .42 (if you don't have this, you can use tomato powder)

3 - large cloves of garlic (a head was like $1)

garlic powder (1-2 heaping palms and go from there)

onion powder (1-2 heaping palms and go from there)

chili powder (1-2 heaping palms and go from there)

cumin (1-2 heaping palms and go from there)

beef bullion powder (if you don't have this, you can use beef broth, just reduce the amt. of water)




Directions:

Brown ground beef in pan. I did it in two batches. Put meat into colander to drain and be rinsed. Leave some grease in pan to cook onions in.

Cook onions until soft. Set aside.

In large stock/soup pot, add meat, onions and beer.

Open your cans of tomatoes, pour into the pot the swish just under 1/2 cup of water in each can and pour in. Add your beans. At this point, it should be pretty soupy. If not, add some more water.

Add your spices including the beef and tomato bullion powders. (or your tomato paste/broth)

Turn heat to med/low and cover. Let cook for a couple of hours.

Take lid off, taste, adjust seasonings if necessary.

Let cook down until thick. About 30-45 min. When your stirring spoon can stand up in the pot, it's thick enough. You could just add a thickener if you like. ( 2 tbs corn starch mixed into 4 tbs cold water) I don't because I will be canning it. I will when I open a jar for us to eat. (Bring to a boil, add corn starch and stir)


I ended up canning 6 quarts and left one quart out for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. (qt ~ 1.5 hrs/ pt ~ 1.25 hrs @ 10lb pressure)

I am not sure on the cost breakdown of the spices I used since I used what I had in the cupboard. Next time I buy them, I'll make note of how much they are. I'll add $2 for them total. I think that is more than generous given the amounts used. All other ingredients were purchased at Sam's so if you get them at a regular grocery, they may cost more.

Total for all ingredients: $13.36

This made 7 quarts. I figure each quart has 3 - 1 1/3 cup servings if you also serve some corn bread and a salad with it.

Total cost per serving: .64 cents

That's comparable to, and less expensive than some store bought chilis. The bonuses are:

1) I can pronounce each and every ingredient!
2) No added sodium (watch those cans of tomatoes!)
3) I am able to adjust the flavors to accommodate my own family.
4) Once the veg/herb garden gets going, it will be all fresh ingredients grown by my family.

When garden is going: .51


Nutritional Info: (per serving ~ taken from dailyplate.com)

158 cal 3g fat 10g carbs 2g fiber 22g protein





After all ingredients have been added to pot.



Jars of chili after being canned.


Dinner. Mmmmm. Chili and cornbread.

2 comments:

  1. I had to laugh. I change my chili recipe every time I make it, too! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love making chili for that very reason. So easy to change up to match your taste for the day.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what y'all think...