03 January 2009

2009 Garden

Well, it's time to order the seeds for the garden this year. In the past, I've just gone to the greenhouse and bought whatever plants I wanted and come home and planted them. This year, I'm going the heirloom seed route.

I have gone through my Seed Savers Exchange catalogue and decided on what I want. I am going to order today and get the seeds started in the next couple of weeks. This year our garden will consist of:

Green Beans
Peas (Tom Thumb dwarf plants)
Carrots
Cabbage
Tomatoes (at least 2 varieties)
Peppers (at least 2 varieties of the hot kind, not bell)
Onions
Cucumbers (both for pickling and eating fresh)

Then in pots: garlic, cumin, parsley, stevia. The peas and some peppers will also go into pots.

I'm not going to make a huge garden. I will have a few small raised bed gardens with one dedicated just to tomatoes and the other vegetables I will plant only enough for our immediate use. How knows, maybe I'll get enough of something to can but I don't think I have enough room to make the gardens that big. I wouldn't have any yard left and I don't think the dogs would like that too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what y'all think...