30 December 2008

Cranberry Jelly

Today I canned some Cranberry Jelly (cranberry sauce). The recipe I was working off of called for 4 cups of sugar. I decided to start off with 2 1/2 and go from there. The 2 1/2 cups was plenty for us. It tastes sweet when you first put it in your mouth but finishes with a slight tartness.

You will need: (this made 7 half pints)

8 1/2 cups of sorted and rinsed fresh cranberries (I used about 2 1/2 pounds before sorting)
3 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 packet of liquid pectin

Put your cranberries into the pot then add your water. Cook to boiling for approximately 15-20 min. You need to let all the skins pop and the berries completely soften.

Pour mixture into a sieve and press through leaving the skins behind. You will have a thick sauce.

Pour your sauce into a clean pot and add your sugar. Bring to a boil until the sugar is dissolved. Add your pectin. Mix completely and let boil for about 3 min.

Ladle into hot 1/2 pint jars. Lid and place in a water bath for 5 min.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

I will be making another batch tomorrow but will replace the sugar with Splenda and I have some no-sugar pectin to use. Doing this will reduce the calories and carbs to 4 and 2 per serving. I will be able to have some while doing low carb again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what y'all think...